Friday, May 28, 2010

Tom Sawyer

As soon as I open the washing machine, I hear an enthusiastic flutter of toddler feet, then find two extra hands grabbing and shoving clothes into the washer. I now spend half of my effort removing the wrong clothes and simultaneously tricking Helena into thinking she is helping me. I watch her fascination with my work and eagerness to take part in it, the laundry, a job I tend to avoid as long as possible. Why do I hate it so much?

I'm not alone in a desire to shirk my work. Recently in the car we listened to chapter two of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Twain, Mark//Mark Twain Library), where Tom tricks his friends into paying him for the privilege of whitewashing his fence. Afterwards, Twain writes:
If he had been a great and wise philosopher, like the writer of this book, he would now have comprehended that Work consists of whatever a body is OBLIGED to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.
Obligation as a motive for doing something seems closely related to resentment and procrastination. My children definitely grumble and postpone their work when I assign them chores, yet when they decide to surprise me by cleaning up the house, they work cheerfully and quickly. This principle seems true even when I am the one making myself do the work. A pile of clothes to fold sometimes seems an insurmountable obstacle: couldn't I just bake a cake instead?

Synonyms for obliged include "forced, required, bound, compelled, obligated, duty-bound, under an obligation, under compulsion, without any option" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/). I can't think of a time in my life when someone actually forced me to do anything, so for me, being obliged to do something is not a real situation but a feeling, and the synonym "duty-bound" best reflects this. When I act out of duty, I don't feel joy in the results of my labor. Instead I feel relief that I can cross something off the to-do list. How can I transcend duty? How can I help my children do the same?

I have not arrived at a perfect solution, but this year I have seen some changes in my family as I have tried to make it more of a team effort than an individual pursuit. We all take our separate positions cleaning the kitchen after a meal, set a timer, and see if we can complete the job in 15 or 20 minutes. When we all work together, jobs become shorter, and the effort to beat the clock adds interest. Our clean clothes pile has become a mountain lately, so the past few weeks we have had a "folding laundry party" a couple of evenings a week. We pile the clean clothes on my bed and everyone finds, folds, and puts away their own clothes as quickly as possible, then helps with towels and the baby clothes. Because the results of cleaning are so short-lived and relentless, I have always had a difficulty feeling entirely satisfied after doing a job. Enlisting my family's aid, then talking and laughing together throughout a job makes the process fun and the completion soon. Mary Poppins spoke truly when she sang, "In every job that must be done there is an element of fun. You find the fun and snap, the job's a game."

Cleaning rooms, making beds, and getting dressed in clean clothes in the morning have been habits I've struggled with helping my children develop. Then my sister Johanna told me what she does, I stole her idea, and now I am finding success with telling everyone that I would love the whole family to join me for a home-cooked breakfast as soon as they have those tasks completed.

As a child, I thought Tom Sawyer successfully tricked his friends into doing his work, but it's not that simple. They had fun whitewashing his fence. Working cooperatively, finding success in the results, and  taking well-deserved rest at the end of a task can help anyone develop the ability to feel self-motivated and enjoy a task instead of feeling obliged to do it. Even me.

6 comments:

  1. Using a timer is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    You hit a familiar note! I’m sad inside when my kids whine when I ask them for help. I want to cultivate a spirit of working together. I pondered this as I did the dishes (all by myself…pout pout). I made a little plan.
    My goal is to create a feeling of accomplishment. I want them to feel accomplished that we got our morning routine done by a certain time in the morning. We have a chart on a cupboard that the kids can see(including a picture for each task) that lists all the things we need to do in the am (make breakfast, unload the dishwasher, get Ella and Abbie dressed). I gave them each a set of stickers and told them that when they help happily with any of those things, they get to put up a sticker next to the job they did. If we get it all done by a certain time, everyone gets a couple of bonus stickers. Each 10 stickers are associated with some reward.
    Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this! We have a lot of work cut out for us right now and I try to focus on the end result and then celebrate the excitment of unpacking a box or having a whole bathroom unpacke.d

    Great thoughts, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried the trading jobs with my son Solomon once, it was kind of funny. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminded me of the lesson I taught today in our Enriching Marriage and Family Class. One of the ways President Benson said to spend effective time with your children was by eating dinner together. One of the women commented that we could start that time together by having a child (or children)help with the final preparations and setting of the table. If we start our conversations with them there, and just continue it on, involving others at the table, it is a great time to communicate. Johanna wanted to involve everyone so she made a jar with conversation starters that everyone had to comment on during the meal. Then as we end the meal, we often linger at the table and continue to talk. I seem to remember that no one just left the table after we ate and went off. We talked, and then everyone started cleaning up. We teased and played. My favorite part is throwing the rag like a football to whoever is washing the table. (They can't throw it back because it might be full of crumbs.) We set our timer, and, when it went off, if we weren't done, the one I designated as the slowest had to finish up. This made it into a competition. As a result there were hardly any times that one was left because we were done by the bell.

    Sunday someone came to the house while we were sitting at the dining table. They apologized for interrupting our meal. We explained that they weren't really interrupting because we had finished a while ago. We were just sitting and talking at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,

    I look forward to talking to you more about these and other things in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete