Saturday, February 6, 2010

Scrubbing Dishes to Music

Computer-generated music sounds flat compared to music performed by people. While free from error, it lacks the variation and interpretation that is the foundation of artistry. The capacity to make mistakes and the capacity for excellence are linked, in my opinion. Since I am grateful for one, I must also be grateful for the other.

Last night we didn't have dinner as a family. A salesperson came over right at dinner time, disrupting our normal routine. It wasn't until I woke up this morning that I realized we never did dishes last night. Right now my kitchen has dirty dishes from yesterday evening and this morning that I am going to wash as soon as I finish typing. While I feel inadequate and that I have failed on my habit-making resolution, I am glad of the reminder that I am human. My mistakes might be my road to excellence if I persist, stronger in my resolve as a result.

I will listen to music as I scrub, realizing that while life frequently seems far too full of the mundane, we can hear the sublime instead if we are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment