Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Every Child Can Learn

Every Japanese child can speak Japanese. Every English child can speak English. Every German child can speak German. As a young man pursuing a career as a violinist, Shinichi Suzuki realized this with amazement, and it shifted the focus of his career and his life. Everyone knows that we all learn to speak, that a Japanese child can speak Japanese even though it can be incredibly challenging for an American adult to learn it, but for most of us it seems ordinary. For Suzuki, it was remarkable. He developed a philosophy based on the fact that all children speak their mother tongue and then applied it to teaching music, continuing to refine his method until his death in 1998 at the age of 99.

Rather than accepting speech as an ordinary matter of course for people, he viewed it as evidence that every child can learn. Every child has talent. They are all born with both the natural mechanisms and the motivation to develop the ability to speak. Suzuki believed that if we can understand the way spoken language develops and use this natural process to teach other things, we can assist all children in achieving their full potential. He played the violin and believed in the value of music, so he devoted himself to developing a way to teach children music by replicating the "mother tongue" method.

In a linguistics course in college I learned that humans seem to be hardwired for language. Speaking is a natural skill that all people acquire, and other skills, like math or playing a musical instrument, are not universal. We may not all have the aptitude for other skills as naturally as we have the ability to speak. However, I think Suzuki was right that if we try to replicate the learning of language in our teaching of other skills and subjects, our success will be far greater than by any other method. We can help all children achieve, not just those who seem "gifted." Suzuki teachers generally accept anyone who is willing to try the method and do not preselect for musical ability. As a result, some of their students may seem to have a lack of talent. A few summers ago I heard a piano teacher, Karen Hagberg, speak about this part of her experience. Throughout her years of teaching there were a few students who she privately believed were hopeless cases, but she continued to teach them anyway. Some of them eventually became career musicians, and she became fully convinced that Suzuki was right. Every child can learn.

When I struggle with teaching my children something new, I remind myself of this. I may need to approach it differently, to find the best way for them to learn it, but eventually, if I keep trying, I can teach them and they will learn. It has helped me persist in homeschooling. I'm grateful that I have had many years to think about Suzuki's philosophy. After two years of traditional piano instruction as a child, I began taking Suzuki piano lessons, which was my introduction to the Suzuki method. A love for music became a central part of my life. Since then, I have studied Suzuki's books and his philosophy, applying them to every area of learning, not just music lessons. I currently have six children, ranging in age from fourteen to fourteen months. The four oldest currently take piano lessons, and I homeschool all of them with Shinichi Suzuki's Mother Tongue Method as one of my greatest influences as I strive to rear children with a "beautiful heart."

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I came over at your request from WALDSFE. As a Suzuki mom of many years I can attest to the effectiveness of the method. My youngest is the only one still playing, at around age 15 I let them quit if other activities are more pressing. My little one started at at 5 and took 6 months to learn the rhythms before he could even pick up a fake violin. At his last orchestra concert he was first viola and has become very serious about his music. Everything was harder for him, but after many years of practice now he makes people think he has natural talent.

    I don't believe and I doubt Suzuki would believe, that language is different from math, music or reading. Skills need to be built and some students will develop much more slowly. Some people cannot learn to speak like severely autistic kids, but most people do and likewise most people can do very hard things like read, drive a car, and do math.

    To me Suzuki is about having faith in our children and in the process. My son was extremely "behind" for many, many years. Now he is "ahead" on the viola which is even harder to play than the violin.

    My kids speak late as well, then make up for lost time. My oldest has difficulty with social cues and facial recognition. He has to work much harder than others at things most just take for granted. I had the same difficulty and most of the time I do very well now, but I had to learn explicitly what others learned implicitly. The same can be applied to teaching our children. If, as in the Suzuki Method, we teach everything explicitly and step by step, all kids can learn and not just those who have what we see as having natural talent.

    I spent some time tutoring math and English a number of years ago. I definitely used the Suzuki methodology to teach these kids with severe learning anxiety and it worked very well. I also tried to support the parent aspect of the learning the same way the Suzuki teacher supported me.

    When I am frustrated thinking about the Suzuki method helps me to have faith in the ultimate positive outcome with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, that was a beautiful and insightful post and I thank you for taking the time to write it. Makes me want to study the man and his philosophy more. Also, in case I haven't said it lately, thank you for teaching my daughter. It means a lot to me that you are willing to teach other children. I respect and admire you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this and talking to you about this. I love how Suzuki's philosophy inspires me to change my parenting to help my child instead of try to change my child without adjusting my ways. It is wonderful to always think of the potential children have. It really changes the way we approach our children, if we truly believe and treat them accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Tatiana, that the inspiration to change myself instead of forcing change in someone else is one of the best things about Suzuki's philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was just what I needed today as I'm struggling with my son's Chinese language learning. I will persevere and find a way that syncs with HIM!

    ReplyDelete